We are located near Sand Springs Oklahoma - if you need local help for a dove or pigeon, read below:
* If you catch a domestic or injured dove or pigeon with immediate needs, make sure the bird is contained and safe first - then contact us (also send a photo). We do not have volunteers to catch birds. We also do not retrieve birds dropped off at vet clinics - where they are at risk of being unnecessarily euthanized.
* DO NOT try to raise a baby bird or "fix" a bird yourself. This is not only harmful to the bird, but illegal. Delaying proper care even by a day can make it impossible to reverse what is wrong. Sick and injured birds need immediate expert diagnosis and treatment. Growing juveniles have species-specific nutritional needs and social requirements. We cannot take a bird once she is imprinted on humans, as nearly always happens when people DIY. Imprinted pigeons/doves cannot survive in the wild and are a 20+ year commitment.
* We are always happy to give advice, but we can't always take every bird. There are more birds in need than we can help. We won't take on more residents than we can sustainably provide for. It's a matter of space, manpower and financial restrictions.
* According to our operating rules, we ONLY work with pigeons and doves. We are not trained, licensed, or equipped to handle other species.
* Email firstname.lastname@example.org or message via FB.
You can call 580 - 603 - 0683 (for emergencies only).
Olive's Place was initially founded to give a chance at life to injured and disabled wild pigeons - providing a safe haven so that being disabled or un-releasable wouldn't be a death sentence. We make care decisions for our residents based on what we would want for ourselves or loved ones, and believe that euthanasia is the absolute last resort for a bird - and only consider this when quality of life is poor and cannot be improved. Unlike many wild species, pigeons are descended from domesticated birds and thrive in captivity with an aviary flock environment. They are incredibly resilient and cope very well with disabilities when provided modifications. Every bird who comes here is treated as an important individual, and receives personalized attention and a high standard of care. We also provide homes to domestic pigeons and doves who have nowhere else to go.
We accept birds from finders, and do not retrieve birds from any vet clinics or drop-off locations. If you find an injured or domestic pigeon, please contact us directly.
Unless you have an explicit written agreement otherwise with Olive's Place, placing animal(s) into our care transfers responsibility and guardianship/ownership of the animal(s) to Olive's Place.
TRANSFER AGREEMENT - - - - -
Once surrendered to Olive's Place Dove & Pigeon Sanctuary Inc, bird(s) cannot be taken back by the previous owner or finder. Olive's Place reserves the sole right to make all decisions for the health and safety of the bird(s), including but not limited to: housing, diet, vet care, and future transfers to other organizations or individuals. By transferring the bird(s) listed below, you agree to give up all contact with them and all control of decisions on their behalf. Olive's Place may, at our discretion, provide updates and/or photos of surrendered birds, but we are not obligated to do so. In the case of injured adult wildlife, we may ask permission to re-release the bird back to the location at which they were found. We encourage finders to follow our social media pages for updates. Olive's Place complies with all state and federal regulations. Wildlife is illegal for unlicensed individuals to possess.
description of bird(s) transferred: __________________________
name and date: __________________________
Olive's Place does not always have space and availability to accept pet surrenders - this varies based on the situation and our current caseload. If an opening isn't available, you may request to be placed on our waiting list. If you want to include Olive's Place in your estate planning to pre-arrange placement for your pet doves/pigeons, contact us. Pet surrenders require an additional signed form, and information will be collected about the bird's history so that we can provide the best care.
Non-Local Help Requests
Olive's Place is located in the Tulsa OK area. If you are not within driving distance, you can find resources for nation-wide help and information on various pigeon and dove topics at www.pigeonrescue.org . You can also join the Palomacy Help Group on Facebook for assistance and referrals for local help and specific questions.